Next weekend I am doing our first grain-free wedding order! You might remember a while back when we did the tasting. Since then we've been researching and testing out various grain-free recipes. That got us interested in learning more about a paleo diet. If you don't know what paleo means, it's also referred to as the caveman diet and consists of eating whole foods (similar to that of our hunter/gatherer ancestors), and eliminating harmful ones.
Since gluten and many grains fall into that harmful category, as far as I can tell, it also happens to be gluten free! And now, after many months of debate, Patrick has decided he wants to try a paleo diet.
So when this month's host, Brooke of B & the Boy, chose tortillas for our gluten-free ratio rally challenge, I wondered how on earth I might be able to make tortillas be both paleo and gluten-free. We consulted a few cookbooks and eventually settled on a recipe in Paleo Comfort Foods. Now I'm not really a huge fan of baking with coconut flour, but I wanted to give Patrick's new diet a chance. Using my sister's fancy-pants tortilla press was a cinch and the coconut flour tortillas weren't bad at all! In fact it kind of tasted like a coconut crepe or pancake. And since there wasn't any sugar in the recipe, it lent itself perfectly to a savory taco.
We kept the tacos paleo-compliant too with simple sliced veggies (avocado, heirloom lollipop tomatoes from the garden, onion, and cilantro), and salt and pepper tilapia. Simple, delicious, and best of all GF & paleo. The jalapeno margarita also in the picture, sadly was not paleo. Baby steps! ;)
paleo and gluten-free tortillas
This recipe is based on the coconut flour tortilla recipe from Paleo Comfort Foods. The ingredients form more of a batter than a dough and yield about 8 pliable soft tacos.
Want MORE gluten-free tortilla recipes? Check out:
- Brook from B & the Boy made Ratio Rally Tortillas
- Jenn from Jenn Cuisine made Corn Tortillas
- Jonathan from The Canary Files made Vegan Curried Flour Tortillas
- Meg from Gluten-Free Boulangerie made Lefse (Norwegian Potato Flatbread)
- Pete and Kelli from No Gluten, No Problem made Flour Tortillas
- TR from No One Likes Crumbley Cookies made Gluten Free Flour Tortillas and Quesadillas
- Heather from Discovering the Extraordinary made Sundried Tomato & Basil Tortillas
- Karen from Cooking Gluten Free! made Gluten Free Healthy Flours Tortillas